The Active Image Approach to Healthy Snacking
A healthy balanced diet comes about by making good food choices at each meal. So, which is a healthier option a low-fat rice cake or a granola bar? We sometimes think we are making healthy options only to realize that it may not be what is right for us. Making wise food choice is sometimes difficult because we're not sure what good choices are
At Active Image we equip you with the information you need to make wise choices.
Here are some tips to choose healthy snacks.
- Choose snacks with a high vitamin and mineral content- rice cakes may be low fat but provide very few nutrients
- Read the labels- low fat does not always mean good for you- be sure to check the sugar and sodium content
- Ask your body what it needs at the time -- let it be your guide
- Include a mix of carbohydrates, protein and fat to give you that full feeling
- Remember, there are no good or bad foods only foods that are right or wrong for your needs
- Drink water to ensure that you are really in need of a snack -- it may be thirst
- Eat every few hours to maintain blood sugar levels that amounts to 5-6 meals per day
- Keep it simple -- if the label contains a bunch of names that you can't pronounce then it's probably not the best choice
- Keep your consumption of simple carbohydrates to a minimum
- Fats are not the enemy- just remember that moderation is the key
For more Active Image tips see the "for the body" section at www.activeimage.ca
With this information there are many options for you to choose from. Here are a few of our suggestions:
Fruit smoothie (your choice of milk with ½ cup of your favorite berries)
½ mango with a tsp. of sesame seeds or 4 raw cashews
6 multigrain crackers with low fat cheese
½ whole wheat pita bread with ¼ cup hummus
1 cup fruit salad sprinkled with sunflower seeds
½ cup yoghurt with a tablespoon of granola
½ whole wheat English muffin with tomato sauce and 1 oz grated cheese ( melted)
½ cup cottage cheese with a handful of blueberries
½ cup trail mix
Hard-boiled egg with 1 slice of whole-grain toast
¼ avocado on 1 slice whole grain toast
¼ cup guacamole with 6 baked tortilla chips
With a little planning, snacking can be fun and healthy !!!!
For more information on this topic visit our website at www.activeimage.ca and read the Eat Live and Exercise Right for your Type article in the "For the Mind" section.