Oct 12, 2004 Volume 1 No. 23

All Work and No Play...

Hard work is a prerequisite for success but that does not mean that you can't have fun during the process. Find ways to make your work fun, your workouts fun and your life fun. Say yes to your favourite dessert every once in a while. Remember, good health is a journey, not a
destination. So enjoy the journey!!!!!
There are no Shortcuts

Enjoy the newsletter and have a Blessed Week!!

Cathy Morenzie

Experience shows that success is due less to ability than to zeal. The winner is he who gives himself to his work, body and soul.

~ Charles Buxton

By now we should have realized that we cannot escape hard work - it's a fundamental stone in building one's desired life and fulfilling your God-ordained purpose. Many have searched for shortcuts and though it appears that they have found some, their benefits are often short-lived. I advise you to channel the energy and time you take searching for these shortcuts into being passionate, dedicated and committed to the goals you have set for yourself.

There are times when your vision will be cloudy and the rewards of all your hard work may seem far off, that is where your commitment to these efforts will be tested. Don't just pay lip service to desiring success, you have to put your shoulder to the wheel and be determined to get everything out of this life that God has for you. Work hard, be diligent and passionate and above everything else, have FUN!!

~ Nadia C. Thomas



Have a Ball!!!!!

The stability ball is one of the fitness industry's most versatile, fun, affordable and necessary pieces of equipment. It's a large inflatable ball, which can be used to improve balance, strengthen your core and improve posture and flexibility. In Europe, stability balls have been successfully used in schools as chairs. They are also known as birthing balls in the labour room, yoga balls in classes and, Physio balls for therapy and rehabilitation.

Imagine taking most of the exercises you do in the weight room and performing them on an unstable ball. This instability will allow you to utilize many muscles that you would not otherwise develop in your current program. For example, the stabilization required to maintain a push-up position (i.e. hands on the ball feet on the floor) recruits and develops the stabilizers and neutralizers of the shoulder girdle/joint in a way that a chest machine cannot. The improved joint function, due to this stabilization work, results in better joint function, decreased chance of injury and the ability to produce more force.

Training on a stability ball improves your balance and stability, an element that you don't necessarily obtain in traditional weight training The instability of the ball forces your body to use neutralizing and stabilizing muscles to stay balanced in a given position or through a particular motion. This impacts your everyday life; in sports your performance can be better since you are able to apply more power and strength to any situation, especially out on the golf course, when you need to balance and stabilize your body. In weight training you will strengthen some of the muscles that may have been preventing your from breaking your plateau. At work, you are able to stand or sit more comfortably without experiencing back pain.

Here are a few exercises that you can add to your existing routine to improve your core strength, balance, stability and posture:

Reverse Bridge

Push-ups off stability Ball

Sit-ups on the Stability Ball


Follow the 80/20 Rule

There is a misconception that healthy living means living a life confined to the gym, living on carrots stick and never having any fun. That is simply not true. A healthy lifestyle affords you the luxury of being able to take some time off your routine and not feel guilty about it or eating some of your favourite (not so healthy) foods once in a while and knowing that you don’t have to spend the rest of the week in the gym paying for it.

I follow the 80/20 rule of fitness. I do my best to eat well and stay in shape 80% of the time so that I am able to ‘relax my standards’ the other 20% and feel okay about it.

Remember to enjoy! Good health and fitness should make you happy and give you a sense of freedom. So if you slip up for a few days, so what!? Remember, fitness is a journey, not a destination.

To Unsubscribe to our newsletter please click here