I've learned that you can't have everything and do everything at the same time.
Oprah Winfrey-O Magazine, April 2003
I've enjoyed a wonderful summer with lots of time to walk with my son to his new day-care, for long bike rides in the evenings and for finding time to actually do some kind of exercise every day. As of Labour Day I've had to trade my walking shoes for the car as I race from one client to the next, to the supermarket, to the bank and to day-care. It has definitely become a bit more challenging to find time to exercise. So what's a busy person to do?
Here are a few tips that I often have to remember to make sure that regular exercise remains part of my weekly routine... maybe they can work for you too:
1. Keep your gym bag always packed and in your car or office for whenever you happen to find some spare time.
2. Schedule your workouts in your day-timer as you would any other meeting or important event
3. Buddy Up- studies show that recruiting a workout partner will improve your adherence to your program
4. Take a walk break instead of a coffee break -- a walk will do a lot more for your body than a cup of java... but if you must, walk while having your coffee
5. Make it a family affair -- get the family out for a walk, bike ride or a game of frisbee after dinner
Spend 10 minutes today and try to find 3 or more times per week where you might be able to schedule some workouts. Your body will thank you for it!