Guidelines for Fitness Assessment
- Using a timer, complete as many push-ups as you can do in 1 minute
- Start position: Lie back onto floor or bench with knees straight or bent if you prefer, both hands straight and down by waist. Head should be in a neutral position with a space between chin and chest.
- Leading with the chin and chest towards the ceiling, contract the abdominal and raise shoulders off floor or bench. Extended arm should remain fixed and parallel to head.
- Return to start position.
- Remember to keep head and back in a neutral position. Hyperextension or flexion may cause injury. Also only curl your torso until your shoulders blades are off the ground. Do not try to sit up to an upright position. To increase resistance, hold dumbbell in hand of extended arm. To decrease resistance, position hand closer towards body.
- Complete as many push-ups as you can '''until you are physically unable to complete anymore
- Start by lying face down and placing your hands near your shoulders with your elbows pointing up.
- Keeping your trunk straight press your hands into the floor so that your upper body and hips come up off the ground into a push up position.
- Now you are in a modified push up position from your knees.
- Bend your elbows so that your chest touches the ground and then repeat by returning to the top position.
- Place ball against the wall and your lower back.
- Proceed into a squated position so that your thighs are parallel to the ground.
- Hold this position for as long as you can
- Remember to keep your feet flat on the floor and your knees behind your toes.
- Start by placing your forearms on the ground and forming a plank with your forearms and feet.
- Hold this position keeping your body parallel to the ground for as long as you can
Guidelines for Taking Measurements
Measure your waist without holding the tape too tightly (or too loosely). As a rough guide, your waist is the narrowest part of your trunk, or approximately 1 inch above your belly button.
Measure the hips around the fullest part of your buttocks with your heels together.
Measure the upper thighs, just below where the buttocks merge into the back thigh.
Measure around the fullest part of chest